Bleeding Woman Luke 8:43-48
1. Do we still have “unclean” people in our communities today? Who are some of the unclean people?
Why do we think they are unclean?
2. Has anyone ever treated me like I was “unclean?” How did that make me feel?
3. Have I ever treated someone like they were “unclean?” Why did I treat them that way? How does that make me feel?
4. What can I do to stop myself from treating others like they are unclean?
5. As a parent, what lessons am I teaching my children about treating other people the way I want to be treated?
6. What lesson is there about bullying in this story?
7. What type of kindness can you do for an “unclean” person?
Faith must be expressed by taking action. This isn’t always easy, though. You often feel as if you are simply going through the motions and this makes your actions and faith powerless. To put power in both, you must add enthusiasm. I know how hard it can be to remain enthusiastic. Your life is busy and you get tired. There are, however, ways you can help increase and maintain your enthusiasm.
1. Energetic: Discover ways to keep your energy up. You need to have a better understanding of your body and the things that either add or subtract from your energy. Go for a walk. Eat the right foods. Take a short nap. Watch a program or film that makes you feel better. Talk to a friend that always boosts your spirit. You also need to know the things that cause your energy to lag. Too much sugar. Too much caffeine. Not enough sleep. Watching the wrong programs or reading the wrong books. You may even have people in your life that drain the energy right out of you. Do an assessment to gain a better understanding of what helps and what hurts.
2. Encouraging: It is important for you to learn ways to encourage those around you, especially women. These days, there are too many people ready to drag you down over the smallest things. You begin to doubt your ability to do anything, let alone something big. Many of the women around you feel exactly the same way. It’s important for you to encourage them. Pay them a compliment. Ask for the opinion. Ask for their help. It takes so little to boost someone, to help them feel better about themselves. There are enough people looking for ways to tear them down! You need to take time to lift them up!
3. Engaging: We were recently at a large convention looking at the exhibits. I commented on all the people walking around an incredible event while looking down at their phones. They weren’t engaged in what was happening around them at all. I thought it was sad. So many interesting people. So many incredible products and many people missed all of it as they stared at their phones. Now some of them may have had something important they needed to take care of in that moment but not all of them. And you might say some of them had already seen the exhibits. True but there is always something new. And you never know who you might encounter. It’s important for you to become more engaged in life. Do you speak to the people you meet over the course of your day? I enjoy talking to all the checkers that wait on me when we run errands. I ask how their day is going, has it been busy, do they get off soon. It’s nothing earth shaking. They may never remember our conversation. People are so interesting.You never know who you will meet or what you will learn when you begin talking to someone. And if they seem to think you’re odd for talking to them, well, that’s their problem. You just stay alert to life.
These are 3 very simple things you can do to put action into your faith. You never know what might come from a casual encounter with someone. And that’s what makes life so exciting!
One of the first places you should look when determining your call & where to utilize it is among the women in your life. I believe women have an incredible opportunity right now to encourage & support one another. You may not understand right away what you should do or how you can serve anyone but these are 3 questions to ask yourself to help with the process:
- Who do I know?: Consider the women in your life right now. Quietly think about them & see whose name rises to the surface. I often think of this as being like a Magic 8 Ball, however, instead of shaking things up, you need to sit quietly & turn your mind to God. He knows the women in your life that need your help & He is ready to share those names with you. You must, however, ASK!
- What do they need?: Once you have some names in mind, you need to determine what they need. This takes a bit of time as you consider THEIR needs not what you THINK they need. This can be a problem. Yo become so anxious to help, you jump in before surveying the situation & determining their felt needs. Whether you agree or not is irrelevant. Take care of their felt needs first & then you can move on to other needs as you see them after.
- How can I help?: Once you understand their felt needs, you need to gain an understanding of why God is calling you to help them with this specific issue. There may be others helping the same woman with the same problem in different ways. You bring something specific to the problem which is why God put you there. Never doubt you have something to offer.
You want to take time to determine who needs your help & how you are able to help them, however, you still want to act in a timely matter. When God calls, you want to answer right away.
When most of us think of revival, we picture a church meeting where the preacher warns us of the sinful lives we are living & works to dedicate ourselves to getting on the right path with God. This is one type of revival but I want to discuss something different.
When I think of revival, I think of reawakening. Perhaps this is what pastors are working to do at those religious meets: working to reawaken the Spirit within us. That’s part of what I help you do this month. More importantly, I want to help you reawaken the passion in your life.
Think back to when you were in high school or college. Life lay ahead of you & you were excited to go out there & make your make. You had passion. Then life go in the way. Jobs, bills, family, responsibilities, schedules, they all took up so much of your time, you simply couldn’t take time for your passion any more. Soon, you forgot all about it. God, however, never forgot about it.
I believe God put you here for a specific reason & that reason gave you your passion. The Spirit within you lit a fire that burned bright until the stress of life pushed it so deep within you that you couldn’t feel it anymore. I’m not saying you lost your faith but there is more to being a Christian than just that. Your passion, the Spirit make your faith stronger & more powerful than you imagine.
So how do you reignite your passion? How do you revive it? I believe it takes POWER to do that. Five items that help you better understand the plan God has for your live. It’s time to shake things up. It’s time to stop going through the motions. It’s time to understand your true purpose in life. It’s time for Revival!